Sunday, April 5, 2009

The view from 30k feet

I was on a couple flights this week back and forth from the Northeast on business and it dawned on me looking out the window (when it wasn't cloudy) that being at 30,000 ft. reminded me of an expression I often use with clients. I say step back and look at this problem from 30,000 ft. I honestly don't know why it's not 20 or 40 but it always 30. Anyway, my point is usually about perspective. From 30,000 ft.
  • I see the bigger picture
  • My organization looks small compared to what's around it
  • My immediate problems or customer problems don't seem to consume me as much
Practical Innovation is sometimes a step-back approach in order to go forward. A step back approach may be a SWOT analysis if you haven't done one in awhile. It may also be a current review of what projects are in the growth pipeline that may be clogging the pipe. The small enterprise has to step back and see if time and resources are focused on the right thing.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. So that's where the 30,000 foot perspective comes from. That height does give you an added dimension and reality. I like the analogy.

    ReplyDelete